Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Making Personal Connections

It has been 8 days since I became the superintendent of “The Best Small School in Ohio”.  I have learned so much each day.  Some of those things have NOTHING to do with education but have EVERYTHING to do with supporting the district in fulfilling our educational vision.  Each day I have made a personal connection with someone on staff or in the community.  Asking about their new baby, checking in on the aging parent, visiting the fair, wondering about summer vacations or sharing stories about my own family adventures.....believe me with 3 children we have many especially since our  youngest is a mix of Pig-Pen and Denise the Menace :)  

I have met with the Mechanicsburg Public Library, Bicentennial Committee for the Village, and new teachers to the district as well as every supervisor, director, or administrator in the district.  Busy but important work!

This is not something that I am trying to do but something I want to do.  I am many things in addition to the district’s superintendent.  I am a mother, wife, friend, daughter, sister, runner, gardener, and shoe lover.  When we can connect with each other, share a piece of our lives outside of the job, we are more likely to build the trust needed to do the important work ahead of us inside our profession.    

“When you care about others, you are CONNECTED, which builds trust.”  -Ken Blanchard

I look forward to the connections that I will make as the superintendent of schools in Mechanicsburg. I challenge the administrative team, teachers, and support staff to go out on a limb and do the same. The gain is worth the risk we take when we open ourselves up to others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment